Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks!

Holidays are personal.  Whatever feelings, hopes, dreams, expectations or pressures wash over us during the holiday season, once the holiday actually arrives, we face that sliver in time when things slow down, even if just for a moment, and we are left with our own personal sense of the season.  For me, "that moment" defines the season.  And it has its own special flavor each and every year.

So, we welcome Thanksgiving!  Less commercialized than Christmas with less spectacle, Thanksgiving's charm may be in its ability to wrap an entire holiday into a singularly precious event: the traditional family meal.
But, Thanksgiving has a soul as well: family, sharing...giving thanks...all things that matter; the personal, right?  With this in mind, allow me a moment to share my deep appreciation - my thanks - for the following things are are personal and precious to me:
  • Family  Does anyone leave family off their list?  Well, there's a reason.  I am especially thankful this year for our blessings, Adam and Rachel, and for my mother, who faces health issues this holiday season.
  • Health  Again, standard fare but, as with our families, the things that matter most can be taken for granted.  I know I have been cavalier about both at times but, thankfully, less so over the past year.
  • Work  The saying that if you love your job you'll never have to work a day in your life resonates with me.  We have an incredible team at NESC: board, staff, members and partners.  They are bright, bold and bounteous.  Are you blessed with a job where you work with wonderful people?  I am...and I'm thankful for each and every one of my colleagues and customers.
  • Social networks  Loneliness is real and people fall through the cracks.  We need to reach out to the neighbors in need among us and at the same time, with humility, be thankful for the family and friends who serve as our safety net.  My wish is that you have a social circle for your next soft landing.  It really matters, it always matters.
  • Other people's shoulders  We, and the people we care about, are helped every day, in small ways and in large.  Sometimes we see the one who opens the door - or the window - to help us or others.  Sometimes these giants move silently like angels.  I am simply amazed at selfless acts of kindness.  They grease the wheels of life.  I am thankful for these people, leaders large and small.
I hope things slow down for you at least for a moment this Thanksgiving holiday.  Embrace the wonder.  Be safe.  Give thanks. 

Thank you for following my web log.  Feel free to share your thoughts on holidays, Thanksgiving and the things that matter most to you. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment